Category Archives: Sports

Barcelona and the Liga, or: Quantitative Support for Obvious Predictions

I've adapted the predictive model to look at the Spanish Liga. Unsurprisingly, it's currently giving Barcelona a 96.7% chance of winning the title, with Atlético a far second place with 3.1%, and Real Madrid less than 0.2% (I believe the model still underestimates small probabilities, although it has improved in this regard.) Note that around […]

The Torneo Inicial 2012 in one graph (and 20 subgraphs)

Here's a graph showing how the probability of winning the Argentinean soccer championship changed over time for each team (time goes from left to right, and probability goes from 0 at the bottom to 1 at the top). Click on the graph to enlarge: Hindsight being 20/20, it's easy to read too much into this, […]

Update to championship probabilities

Team Championship probability Vélez Sarfield 85.4% Lanús 14.6%